Title: God's Warning To Us
Scripture: 1 Kings 12, 2 Timothy
Sermon Date: January 21, 2007
Gods Warning To Us Jan. 21, 2007
1Ki 12:1-4 And Rehoboam went to Shechem: for all Israel were come to Shechem to make him king. (2) And it came to pass, when Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who was yet in Egypt, heard [of it], (for he was fled from the presence of king Solomon, and Jeroboam dwelt in Egypt;) (3) That they sent and called him. And Jeroboam and all the congregation of Israel came, and spake unto Rehoboam, saying, (4) Thy father made our yoke grievous: now therefore make thou the grievous service of thy father, and his heavy yoke which he put upon us, lighter, and we will serve thee.
Reheboam had a choice to listen to wise counsel after the death of Solomon. He chose instead to listen to the counsel of those who were unwise and it cost him dearly. God has given us a choice today to listen to wise counsel also. Today we will look at the counsel of God to prepare us for the age in which we live. Will we choose to listen to God’s counsel and trust in the finished work of Jesus or will we continue to live for self.
2Ti 3:1-5 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
The last days – a peculiar phrase- talks about the days immediately preceding the return of Christ for the Church, the Tribulation and the second coming of Jesus to set up his kingdom. A set of 18 characteristics. Lets see if we fit
1. Perilous times- closely parallels today’s word for “Terrorism”
2. Men shall be lovers of their own selves. The “me” generation – it’s all about me
3. Covetous - $$ Lovers of Money easy credit – You can not serve God and mammon (money) Materialism is the god of this world
4. Boasters only used 2 times (Romans 1) – overconfident- no fear of God origin of this word is how man will actually strut in their walk in the end days- brazen
5. Proud – so proud they don’t need Jesus to go to heaven- they are good enough on their own
6. Blasphemers – not talking about cussing God – means to hinder- and to rail- to spread rumors beyond gossip- Big brother looking in and Checking you out -
7. Disobedient to parents self evident- what happened if we sassed our parents or teachers when we were kids? What happens today.
8. Unthankful – giving thanks to God for our blessing
9. Unholy – profane- living like God does not exist – “Atheist” is a word only in existence in the last 100 years
10. Without Natural affection 2001- the first country authorized homosexual marriage- In Canada it is a crime to define homosexuality as sin (See Romans 1 Below)
11. Trucebreakers You better have a contract – and a lawyer- and double check – it use to be a mans word was his bond
12. False accusers – this is about Lawsuits Americans are involved in litigation more than any other activity
13. Incontinent – without self control. A society and government without any restraint – look at the National debt No Boundaries
14. Fierce – root meaning of this word is Savage- violent Look at the youth violence and gangs
15. Despisers of those who are good – in the last days people will hate you because you stand up for what is right-
16. Traitors – this is talking about scamming one another – identity theft proposing themselves to be one thing and turning out to be something else- deception
17. Heady – reckless, daredevils
18. High-Minded Only time in entire bible this word is used- full of conceit – Hot air Big Headed
19. Lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God – 2 applications
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
Are we listening to God’s Wise counsel
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
baptistinfo.org - The End
Copyright © 2017
Welborn Computer Services
All Rights Reserved.